Saturday, August 21, 2010

I need a recipe for leftover turkey soup?

Me too, saw one this morning on CBS morning news but just caught the tail end so I don't have the exact quantity of each ingredient. It's a good ole Louisiana fattening recipe so here goes: Besides the turkey you saute onion in butter or bacon grease %26amp; add potatoes, cooked %26amp; kinda smashed or you can use 3 cans of potato soup, grated cheddar cheese, crumbled fried bacon, 1 tall skinny half %26amp; half (2 pints, 1 qt.?) %26amp; wild rice, I'm thinking Uncle Ben's, it's good. I'd have to add some chopped green onions. Let it sit overnight. Not sure if there was chicken broth in it or not. Thinking I might try it, sounds like a good chowder.I need a recipe for leftover turkey soup?
I will cook down the turkey leftovers and debone


make a roux and add some veggies and next thang ya know I have a good gumbo a kickin. One year I used the remnants of a fried turkey. I boiled the bones and thickened the soup with a nice roux. I added some nice vegetables and it was a hit at thanksgiving. Because it is made quickly I was able to take it on thanksgiving to the feast. It was a hit. Some of the folks who came down from S.Carolina said it was the best thanksgiving ever. Who Knew?I need a recipe for leftover turkey soup?
Chop turkey. Add 1 10 oz. package of frozen mixed vegetables, 1 package of chopped baby leaf spinach, 1 chopped onion, 2-3 ribs of chopped celery, 1 whole small jar of small green olives with pimentos (with juice), then a handful or two of barley, rice or Orzo. For seasoning, add only a small amount of salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper and about 2 tablespoons of Italian Seasoning. I usually use chicken broth for my broth, but if you have bullion or chicken soup base, you can use water. I also add 1/4 can of Rotel tomatoes. Heat and cook until your barley, rice or orzo are done.





Chicken soup base works much better than turkey soup base. Don't know why.





This recipes is very low calorie and works well with Weight Watchers. Depending on how much barley, rice or orzo you add, it is either zero points or 1 point.
Thicken your turkey soup, add lots of veggies and have ';Chicken Stew'; instead of beef stew.
I made some tonight %26amp; this is what I did-





1 cup sliced, chopped, diced, whatever carrots


1 cup sliced celery


1 cup diced onion


2 cups chopped turkey


2 cups homeade (or store bought) egg noodles


8-10 cups chicken stock or broth (or water with bullion disolved into it)


2 TB. butter





Saute onions in butter. Add broth. Add carrots and celery. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes or so. Then add turkey for 3-5 minutes. Bring heat down and add noodles. Simmer/boil for 8-10 minutes until noodles are tender. Serves 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment